Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

the centerpiece controversy

an example of a 12' centerpiece with no sight obstruction

THE CENTERPIECE OF CONTROVERSY
I enjoy the part of my planning meetings when we come to the discussion of the centerpieces and I hear; "I do not want tall centerpieces because you cannot see across the table!"  I totally agree to disagree.

Anybody who designs a centerpiece that hits between 16" and 24" above table height should turn in their design card.  This is exactly where our eye level goes when sitting at a table.  gatherings of floral or other centerpiece accoutrement should hover below the 16" mark. 

Having said that; I often do very tall centerpieces reaching height in excess of 6' above table height.  the secret is leaving, at least,  that 8" clearance in space.  another important thing is in the placement.   
You can see, in the centerpiece above, there is a 1/2" obstruction but, it is placed between  two chairs so that guests are not having to look through it.

I like using different styles and heights of centerpieces, in the photo above, taken at one of my events at The Georgia Aquarium, I have used three heights; short, medium and tall.  this look is great for social events where guests are moving from table to table and back and forth to the dance floor and bar. 

For corporate events and presentations where it may be necessary to see a screen or a keynote speaker I suggest that all of the centerpieces remain low in size.  the style of the centerpieces may still vary in order  to add interest to the meeting space.

So, when it comes to your next centerpiece excursion remember, the skies the limit.

J Patrick McCann is an event designer and planner for J Patrick Designs based out of Atlanta, Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment